Monday, April 20, 2015

Top Three Reasons Why I Quit Smoking

I would sit for hours on end smoking cigars, and I can't believe how much money I wasted on them (I would sometimes smoke a cigar a day which would total anywhere from 5-10$ a cigar). If you're ready for some cold hard facts keep reading, what is written below is backed up by the National Cancer Institute along with a statement supported by the National Library of Medicine. I know this article is going to ruffle a lot of feathers but it's worth it. People need to know what harm they're doing to their bodies and how they can stop doing it. I have also provided a link at the bottom of the page for those who feel that they are addicted to nicotine. Though I don't think cigar smoking is a sin I clearly think that it is bad for your health.

1. Cigars are not safer than cigarettes. 

Even if you don't inhale you are exposing your mouth to toxic cancer causing chemicals. Not only are you exposing your mouth to them but you're also exposing your throat and larynx to them as well. Also, cigar smoke puts off more chemicals than cigarette smoke. 

2. Cigars are addictive. 

A single cigar can contain as much nicotine as a pack of cigarettes according to the National Library of Medicine. While cigarette smokers mostly get their nicotine from inhaling the smoke into their lungs cigar smokers get it through the lining of their mouth if they do not inhale. I am living proof that they are just as addictive as cigarettes because I used to smoke both, and cigars were even more difficult that cigarettes for me to quit. 

3. Cigars stink. 

I have heard several people say they like the smell of cigars. Then why is it that all your friends said "have you been to the cigar store today?" It was because they made you stink to high heaven. If the smell of carbon monoxide rings your bell then carry on with it. 

Before you walk away from this article hating me please know that I am only trying to help. 

4. Cigars are a waste of money. 

This is one of the most important reasons why I quit smoking. Cigars range in price from 2 dollars a cigar all the way up to 20 dollars or more a stick. I could have done a lot of good with the money that I spent on cigars. I could have fed a homeless person, gave to the local mission, or donated to my church. But what did I do? I burned my money. 

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/tobacco_industry/cigars/#effects 

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/causes-prevention/risk/tobacco/cigars-fact-sheet

http://drug.addictionblog.org/can-you-get-addicted-to-cigars/


No comments:

Post a Comment