Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Interview With Dave The Antique Dealer

This evening I had the opportunity to sit down with my good friend and neighbor Dave Coster. Dave is the owner of Adell's Antiques. He has been in the antique business for years. His shop is in Old Central City at 14th Street West. I encourage you to stop buy and see what a wonderful store it is. You're sure to find something.

What made you want to get started in the antique business? 

"I like dealing with people and I am profit driven but definitely not greedy."

How does someone go about starting a successful business? 

"A successful business of any kind requires knowledge, focus, and follow up. If you don't know your products your perception is going to be distorted." 

How did you get started in the antique business? 

"I used to clean apartments and deliver t.v.s for a man. a couple tenants took off and abandoned everything in their apartment. We had to report to the Sheriff that they were missing and explain the situation before we could auction the contents of the apartment off. After the Sheriff's approval the owner of the apartment complex encouraged me to bid. I bid 15 dollars on the contents of the apartment and won everything for 15$. I have since made contacts and never looked back." 

How do you deal with fads?

"I don't buy too many things that will go out of style quickly, for instance; Beanie Babies, Cabbage Patch Dolls, Avon, and telephone insulators." 

How do you determine whether a customer is honest? 

"I go by the customers reputation, their history within the community, and I have them present to me their I.D. I also get the history of the product from them. I learn everyday and always tell the truth no matter what." 

How do you deal with competitors? 

"I welcome them because competition attracts customers." 

No comments:

Post a Comment