Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Giving

One day I was downtown and a man who looked to be in his early 20's approached me. He said that he wanted money and that he was hungry. I explained to him that I would rather not give him money but I would be delighted to buy him something to eat. He was thrilled. I took him into Five Guys and bought him a burger. He thanked me and said that he would like to take a walk. I agreed and he told me the story of how he became homeless and how his father was verbally abusive and no longer wanted anything to do with him. He then asked if I was a Christian. I explained to him that indeed I was. He then proceeded to tell me that while he was walking downtown a few months or so back he encountered two women and asked them for food. They sarcastically said that they were homeless as well but that they wouldn't buy him food. He said that they were dressed in designer clothes and that they didn't appear to be homeless. He stated that they started talking to him about the Bible and how they were Christians and all this other stuff. I will end with a quote from the Bible. "Then these righteous ones will reply, 'Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink?" (Matthew 25:37). The next time someone asks you for something don't turn them away, give them the benefit of the doubt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment